Monday, June 22, 2009

Live Music - Tom Goss & Jake Walden - Artists Inn Residence

Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot

Saturday night, my niece, her visiting friend and I drove to Washington DC to catch the show. I have been been excited about the show for weeks because: 1. it's been a while since I have gone to some live music, 2. I love me some Tom Goss, and 3. It felt good to get out.

Artists Inn Residence is a beautiful piece of architecture which has been beautifully preserved. In the 'lobby' when you walked in the door, we checked in and then saw a spread of some food and beverages set up for the concert-goers. As we moved around toward the food, up comes Tom, who greeted us and gave big hugs. He seemed very relaxed, and was making some jokes. I didn't see Jake, and supposed he was preparing to go on.

Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot
Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot

Tom started out with a brief overview that the show was being taped for a possible DVD release this winter, and introduced Jake. Jake came out to a round of applause and started joking about the fact that the piano was set up so he would have his back to the audience [making for few picture opportunities for me], weighing the pros and cons, less nerves vs unusual situation. Once he started playing, it was all good. Jake played songs from his CD, Alive & Screaming. The highlights included the title song, The Storm, and the moving For Someone.



There was a bit of a break, and then it was time for Tom to perform. He is based out of DC, so the crowd was made up of fans and they were quite receptive. He started out by showing us the set list, pointing out the large gaps between songs intended to plan what to say to avoid rambling. He didn't have time, so there would be rambling, which was cheered by the crowd accustomed to the charming between-song banter. Tom played songs from his 3 CDs and an EP. Early in the set he played Rise, the first song of his I truly just fell in love with when I first heard it in Philly a couple of years ago. The video reached the top spot on LOGO for a couple of weeks running.



Tom went on to play several other favorites, including King of Something Right, Legacy of You, Down The Mountainside, before ending with Back To Love, his latest single and title cut from the new CD.

Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot
Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot

Both Jake and Tom were in fine form - the best I have heard them. It was a great show. As I have said before, I have an unending need to support indie musicians to make sure they can continue entertaining me. So after the show, I purchased Jake's CD and he was kind enough to sign it. I have all of Tom's merchandise - the CDs and t-shirts, so Heather, Mandy's friend and new Tom Goss fan, purchased Back To Love and I purchased Rise and gave it to her, and she had them signed by Tom. Tom and Jake were gracious enough to chat for a while, and then get a few pictures taken before it was time to hit the road and drive back to Delaware an over 90 minute trip.

tom goss,DVD Shoot tom goss,me,DVD Shoot
Jake Walden,tom goss,DVD Shoot

So, if you enjoy their music, consider buying their music at iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby, or your favorite music outlet. Supporting indie musicians is so very important. Also, try to catch them live when they tour near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails