Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Music - Telling On Trixie - Ugly, Broke & Sober

Telling On Trixie

When I first saw the video for Orion's Light on LOGO, I thought it was a cool song, nice video, but got a little annoyed that MTV was in the process of making LOGO an outlet for MTV videos, and not supporting LGBT acts enough. But, dammit, I liked the song and then heard Halfway Back To Sane, a rockin' song that really grabbed me. So, I begrudgingly bought the CD, and started to look into them. The band could rock it out, and the soaring and textured vocals of the lead singer were fantastic. The sound bounded back and forth between the anthemic 80s stadium rock to power ballads. I was digging them. I have long loved good rock music [Led Zeppelin still rules], but grew tired of being looked at as the wimpy gay dude who lost his bearings on the way to the Gloria Gaynor concert.



It was then the light shone down on me. I was reading articles and interviews, and found out that lead singer Derek Nicoletto was yet another out gay man, playing with a bunch of hot str8 boys. He spoke about the birth of the child he and his partner and how that effected things. It was a revelation for me, and I was excited. I turned all fan grrrlie on him, and wrote a gushing note of appreciation, and he was kind enough to reply and not ask that I be prevented from attending any future shows. And guess what, that is Jack Mackenroth in the Orion's Light video! And those str8 boys are not only cool, they are effing hot!

Telling On Trixie

While figuring out how to put out a second CD, the unsigned band put together the website, bandwithaplan.com, focused on raising money and keeping fans in the loop about what is to come. And if you gave money, your name was listed in the liner notes for the new CD. Yes, I gave money. If we don't support the music we like, how do we expect to hear more of it?

Telling On Trixie

So the 2nd CD, Ugly, Broke & Sober, came out, and has some amazing music. A.N.F.O. is a flat out rocker, the driving beat and lyrics that include 'I didn't mean to slap that queen, I didn't mean to kiss my ex, I didn't mean to push that fratboy or the driver of the taxi. Hand me a hammer, babe, give me some good ammo, hand me a hammer baby, ANFO.'

Telling On Trixie

The CD also has a great cover of the Belinda Carlyle tune, Mad About You - yes, I had the Belinda CD - and the guitar-driven Eden (Take A Bite). The first single out was Crash Me Up, a light and frothy pop tune. The video was made with the help of fans, who sent in tape of themselves playing with a red ball, and put together by the band.



Both the first CD, Telling On Trixie, and Ugly, Broke & Sober are great fun, well worth buying if you like rock. You can find out more about Telling on Trixie at their website.

2 comments:

  1. You're a peach. Thank you for being a part of the success of Ugly, Broke & Sober.

    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, thanks for stopping by. You know I love me some Telling On Trixie, and hope to get a chance to catch you and the band performing live soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails