Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Great Women - Julie London

julie london julie london
julie london julie london

Honestly, I first came to know Julie London as Nurse Dixie on the TV series Emergency! in the early 70s, at least that is what I thought. Turns out, on of my Mother's favorite torch singers was Ms. London, and she had an LP I had listened to, just didn't realize they were one and the same! So in honor of my mother, the next in my series on great women singers is Julie London.



Ms. London sang the lost-a-love blues with a hint of smoke and self-amusement in her voice, a true jazz stylist. And she was quite the sexpot! She passed away after a long illness in 2000 at the age of 74.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Nurse Dixie. I haven't thought of her in decades. Thanks Howard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right in there with your mother and had her LP's I listened to over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howard, baby! You are really pushing all my buttons. I love Julie London so much. She is perfect to take a few of her albums to a cabin at the beach & drink brandy & make out with some guy.
    Follies had a huge impact on me as a teen. I know the original cast album is incomplete, but it is still my favorite. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howard- What a way to press my butons! And start the month of September. I love Julie London and have like five of her cd's. She really did have a incredible voice didn't she? The one cd I have is actually a set of three cd's and it is EXCELLENT! I did a post on her a while back and it seemed to be a popular hit!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails