Monday, September 21, 2009

Worth Another Listen - Breathe

Five lads who went to school together in Hampshire, England, started playing together in 1984, putting out some demos with the hopes of being heard. Their sound was lush pop, with a hint of soul and smooth jazz to make it interesting. Indeed they, singer David Glasper, guitarist Marcus Lillington, drummer Ian "Spike" Spice, and bassist Michael "Mick" Delahunty, were, and by 1988 had one of the biggest hits on radio. In 1987, they recorded the album All That Jazz, and in 1988 released the single Hands To Heaven. If you didn't hear it, you weren't alive.


Watch Breathe - Hands to Heaven in Music | View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

They seemed primed for world domination, only it wasn't to be. Just before breaking big, bassist Delahunty left the band, and four became three. They toured and promoted the album as a trio, with much success, although never recapturing the lightning in a bottle that was Hands To Heaven. They did have success iwth the single Don't Tell Me Lies, an uptempo tune.



There was also a degree of hope with How Can I Fall, another soaring ballad made for the slow dance at high schools and weddings across the world.



They released Peace of Mind in 1990, their sophomore effort to little success. They couldn't get the airplay needed to help sales, and soon the band broke up. The have never gotten back together, nor were any of the members really heard from again. It is thought drummer Spice passed away in 2000, and there was talk of singer Glasper coming out with new music, but that has yet to happen. There is no offiical online presence, but an unofficial fansite can be found by clicking here.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Howard, I thought I was only person left on the Earth that knew they existed! I even had to convince Stan they existed and he is aware of many musicians I've never heard of. I loved their music and was very sad to see them call it a day when sales slipped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle, I can't help it, I love my 80s boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this band - Kyle - u are not alone - I know them well and still hum "How Can i Fall" which for me is the better track. I love 80's love songs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SteveA, Don't Tell Me Lies was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails