Monday, May 16, 2011

Worth Another Listen - Fun Boy Three

Fun Boy Three
Fun Boy Three Fun Boy Three

While it was first recorded by The GoGos, Our Lips Are Sealed was written by Go-Go's guitarist Jane Wiedlin and Specials and Fun Boy Three singer Terry Hall. As a bit of a Terry Hall fanatic myself, I have always shad a soft spot for the version released in 1983 by his band, Fun Boy Three. The band was around from 1981 to 1983 and was formed by singers Terry Hall, Neville Staple and Lynval Golding after they left The Specials. The amazing wit found in the lyrics of all of Hall's work makes me smile.



Their first trip to the UK charts was in 1981 with the odd and eerie song,
The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) . It is off the self-titled debut album, released in 1982. The song was composed by the guys, but certainly had the feel of an old, Tin-Pan-Alley song.



This time out the gate, they took an old jazz standard and reworked it for the time. And they utilized the help of good friends Siobhan Fahey, Keren Woodward and Sara Dallin, better known as Bananarama. This is It Ain't What You Do (It's The Way That You Do It).



And while they had the ladies around, they recorded a song by Motown Records songwriters Norman Whitfield, William "Mickey" Stevenson, and Edward Holland, Jr. in 1964 and made it a hit in 1982. This is Really Saying Something, once again featuring Bananarama.



You know, I had so much fun listening to Fun Boy Three again, I think I will have another post soon with some more music. I am such a fan of Terry Hall - and have been since finding him in The Specials. From there to Fun Boy Three, to The Colourfield, and on to solo work.

6 comments:

  1. A guy where I work out was wearing a Specials T-shirt he said he had from the early 80's... and it looked like it, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard them in years - I did not realise Terry was a co-writer on Our Lips Are Sealed. You gotta love the 80's fashion - all white suits - reminds me a bit of how dressed - so New Wave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, I know, right? I so love Terry Hall!

    Big Mark, LOL. But I have to admit to have some damn old t-shirts myself!

    SteveA, I was so in love with Terry - following him from band to band like a puppydog... Still am, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We listen to them all the time Howard, but the treasure in your post is the footage. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle, glad to help out. I love finding the footage myself!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails