Sunday, September 30, 2012

Love In Tune

Torsh Singers, Fanny Brice, Big Maybelle, Julie London, and Anita O'Day
Clockwise: Fanny Brice, Big Maybelle, Anita O'Day, and Julie London.

As I was looking for inspiration, I went to the music of some of my favorite lady singers, and that is when it hits me. Love. Has anything driven more songs than love? I didn't think so. So I went to some of my favorite lady singers, and wondered what they could offer. Well, they answered loud and strong, and allowed me to plenty of choices for tonight. I was lucky enough to pick my favorite singers, and then some of their wonderful performances to make it fantastic. Up first, I will go to a favorite of the blog, the elegant and sexy Julie London. So I picked a song with music by Victor Young and lyrics by Edward Heyman. Enjoy while Julie sings "When I Fall In Love".


I love the fact that you can find so much amazing music online, and that includes my nest singer, the talented Fanny Brice. For many, Brice is a character who earned an Academy Award for Barbra Streisand. In fact, Brice was a huge star in the 1910s thru to the early 1950s. Brice was a triple threat, known for her singing, comedy, and acting. She was often seen on Broadway, where she was often a headliner for the Ziegleld Follies. She also appeared in films, and was the star of "Baby Snooks", a hit on the radio from the late 1930s until heard passing in 1951. She also had a huge hit with the song "Mon Homme", a song originally composed by Jacques Charles, Channing Pollock, Albert Willemetz, and Maurice Yvain. Fanny recorded the English version, "My Man", in 1921. It was the song that Barbra Streisand delivered at the end of "'Funny Girl'. Here is Fanny's version.


I just adore Anita O'Day, and can't get enough of her. I just love her, and jumped at the chance to include her as well. Here O'Day sings a song with music by Walter Donaldson and lyrics by Gus Kahn. Listen to the beauty waiting to be found in "Love Me Or Leave Me".


I am also nuts about the amazing Big Maybelle. And that has nothing to do with the rather tragic life, as she is said to have fought her demons during her lifetime, with addiction issues. Her voice was just so delicious, so full and brimming with feeling. You can hear that in her version of the Blues classic, "Careless Love".


Hope you enjoyed the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails