Monday, February 25, 2013

Dark Monday • I Won't Send Roses

John Barrowman photo Barrowman003_zps47e5597d.jpg
John Barrowman photo Barrowman002_zps8b6d08a5.jpg John Barrowman photo Barrowman001_zpsdee0de45.jpg
Shots of John Barrowman singing.

For our trip to Broadway this evening, I thought we would visit it by way of the UK and John Barrowman. I am an unabashed fan of the man, whose dashing good looks and stunning voice convinced me long ago I needed to follow his career. Of course, his being and out and proud gay man didn't hurt. While he found his early success on London's East End with his stunning performance in Cole Porter's 'Anything Goes', and he quickly conquered Broadway as well with performances in Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Sunset Boulevard' and the Sondheim music review 'Putting It Together'. He has also been a guest on television musical reviews, his matinee idol looks perfect for the small screen, as well as a voice that never falters. I decided to bring one of those performances to you tonight, with Barrowman taking on the fantastic song "I Won't Send Roses" from the great Broadway musical 'Mack & Mabel'. The musical with a book by Michael Stewart and music and lyrics by Jerry Herman, explored the explosive relationship of of Mack Sennett and Mabel Normand. It sits so beautifully in Barrowman's register, he sings it so damn well. Enjoy as John sings "I Won't Send Roses".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails