Thursday, October 24, 2013

Kings • Bones

Kings - Bones album photo KingsPic_zps7f86cd38.jpg

The last month has been a very good one for me, at least when it comes to music. Several new voices came into my life, most of whom I am so very grateful. One of those is Kings, a Country trio who found their way to me via my buddy, J.D. Doyle. the 'curator' at Queer Music History, suggested they contact me, and the next thing I knew, I had a Facebook message from Robert Maril, giving me a link to the music. Maril plays with Emily Bielagus and Steph Bishop, making up Kings, a band with an intoxicating sound. With harmonies tighter than Dolly Parton's brassiere, and strings that can soar or ground the song with amazing ease, Kings make ear candy I want to gobble up, but instead learn to savor. That is the simple lesson I learned when I listened to their EP, 'Bones'.

Kings - Bones photo KingsBonesCOVER_zpsc56ea492.jpg

Robert, Emily, and Steph have released 'Bones', which kicks off with the breathtaking harmonies on "Western Sky", which combines Country with a splash of jazz, showcasing the vocal prowess of the trio. There is a wonderful quality in those vocals, exposing the remarkable co-existence of pain and hope. The brisk rhythm of the acoustic guitar brings us to "Wake Up Scared", a place far too many people have found themselves over time. As we all search for a place to be, without feeling fear. Check the song out for yourself.



There is a true simple beauty to "Carry Me Home", a heartfelt and honest song that utilizes harmonies and a Dobro guitar to enrich the colors of the picture. This gives was to "That's Fine", a song that lives on the intersection of Tin Pan Alley and Honky-tonk Boulevard. There is a wonderful lightness to the jingling bounce, giving life to that feeling of fresh love. Hit play, and try to not smile like a young fool in love.



From the start of "Wolf at the Door", I had this palpable feeling since I first hit play. It occurred to me right away the Kings were the bastard children of Peter, Paul & Mary and the Dixie Chicks, weaving a strong message in a beautiful aural landscape, using harmonies to brush on the strong strokes of a deft artist. They can turn pain to joy, and go back again with a simple phrase, with an astonishing ease. I can't tell you how much this group impressed me on this debut. They stay true to their music, a look toward the Roots, while never feeling old nor dated. There is both a freshness and honesty present, something that cannot be faked. I can easily hit play with the repeat loop on, just loving life. 'Bones' can be purchased from iTunes and Bandcamp. To learn more about Kings, visit their official website. You can also "like" them on Facebook, and 'follow' them on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails