Monday, June 30, 2014

Dark Monday • Liza's "City Lights"

The Act - Liza Minnelli photo LizaMinnelli_zps98f00323.jpg The Act - Liza Minnelli photo LizaMinnelliTheActRedSuit_zpsab88ccc8.jpg
The Act - Liza Minnelli photo LizaMinnelliTheAct_zps1c969b4d.jpg

When I watch Liza Minnelli sing on the 1978 Tony Awards show, I get all kinds of feelings going on. You see, she is singing a number from the 1977 production of 'The Act', and I just happened to have seen that show while on a school trip. As a student at Smyrna High School, we got on the bus to New York, and one of the best parts of the trip was seeing Liza performing live. The show, with music by John Kander and lyrics by Fred Ebb, was a showcase for the talents of the amazing star, and I have been a fan ever since.

 photo TheAct1977Broadwaymusical_zpsfe3d3ee2.jpg

I still have my souvenir program, for which I think I paid $10, and sometimes pull it out to remind myself of that remarkable time, and that sensational performance by Minnelli. I went out and purchased the Original Broadway Cast Recording, and still listen to it till this day. It helps me remember the show, and being dazzled by costumes by Halston, the sets of Tony Walton, and the direction of Martin Scorsese. The second act opened with a rousing number, "City Lights". That also happens to be the number she did for the Tony Awards. After a wonderful introduction by actor Robert Guillaume, Liza gives her thoughts on the urban vs rural discussion with "City Lights".



I am just so glad to see this again, and be reminded that Liza also won the Tony Award for her performance. Somehow, this boy from a small town in Delaware managed to see two of the four nominated performances. In case you were wondering, it was Liza and the fantabulous Madeline Kahn in 'On The Twentieth Century', which was also great. However, if I had a vote, it would have gone to Liza. You can purchase the Original Broadway Cast album for 'The Act' from iTunes and Amazon. To learn more about Liza Minnelli, visit her official website. You can also 'like' her on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails